More Local Foods: What This Exciting Change Means for Your Menu
Do you know where your food comes from?
Sure, we all know produce like oranges and avocados can be grown in California. But have you ever noticed that at certain times of year, your oranges come from New Zealand, and your avocados have flown all the way from Peru? Take a closer look at the stickers on your fruits and veggies. You might be shocked to learn how far food travels to get to your plate. And what a shame it is when that food goes to waste.
We at The Austin Artisan are dedicated to making your meals as fresh as possible—which means emphasizing local foods and supporting nearby farmers and distributors. That’s why our menus are changing to include more ingredients originating 150 miles or closer to Austin, Texas.
Our New Partners
We’re excited and proud to announce we’ll be working with these producers:
- Farm to Table
- East Poultry
- Johnson’s Backyard Garden (additional info on JBG here)
- And more!
We’ve always thought of ourselves as stewards of the Austin community. It’s only natural that we walk our talk by increasing our support of local foods and their hardworking producers.
Don’t worry—this change isn’t a setback. It actually allows us to better serve you and the community. We consider it an upgrade to be sourcing more local, sustainable ingredients.
Why Eat Local?
Eating locally-produced food has a multitude of benefits, including:
- Fresher, more flavorful and nutrient-dense ingredients
- Less environmental impact and reliance on fossil fuels
- Strengthening of the local economy
- Encouraging more sustainable farming practices
- Eating in sync with the rhythms of Mother Nature
- Eating a greater variety of foods (and maybe introducing some new favorites to your palate!)
Our new schedule requires a little more lead time for ordering, and we’ll need you to approve menus a little earlier, but we believe the benefits will be well worth the adjustment. Your meals will be even fresher and better-tasting than before.
The New Schedule
Here’s how it’ll now work:
- We’ll send you the following week’s menu on Wednesday
- You approve the menu by Thursday night
- We order ingredients on Friday for delivery on Saturday
- Your meals get prepared and delivered fresh on Monday and Tuesday
We hope you’ll join us in embracing this new commitment to sustainability, local foods and community support! Don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns about the new schedule.
If you’d like to get started with us, fill out our Food Questionnaire.
Posted in: Personal Chef Services