Happy New Year! I’m excited to welcome 2017, and I hope you are too.
Every January, we’re always encouraged to create resolutions. We make strategic (or non-strategic) goals for ourselves and try our best to stay interested enough to reach them. And that’s usually the issue, right? Our resolutions are enveloped in routines and tasks that simply don’t bring us joy. Losing weight means munching on carrots all day. Getting to the gym means mindless exercises until our 60 minutes is up—and so on. But what if I told you reaching your health goals could not only be fun, but also delicious and entertaining? Would I have your attention?
Most people vow to shed the extra weight and feel better in their bodies. While major diets insist on some form of deprivation, I think cooking is better. I mean, you can only survive on celery sticks, turkey slices and water for so long.
The truth is, many of us pack on the pounds, because we rely on fast food, packaged meals and takeout to provide our primary sustenance. Unfortunately, you’re going to find that these options are full of empty calories, unsavory ingredients and large portions. It’s not easy to stay fit when your fuel is hurting you instead of serving you.
Here’s the solution…
Cook yourself healthy with our top 10 list!
When we create our clients’ meals, we think about how to design the plate so it’s visually stunning, full of flavor and rich in nutrients. These are our best tips for redefining your plate and dining experience:
- Make your own meals using local, quality ingredients.
- Keep the recipes simple and exciting so you don’t get overwhelmed or bored.
- Be sure that your meal is full of color (in other words, lots of veggies).
- Prepare a perfect protein to maintain your energy.
- Add whole grains or starchy vegetables if you like to feel grounded.
- Top it all off with sauces, pestos and slaws to accent each dish.
- Style your food as opposed to slopping it on your plate, and add a delicate garnish, such as chopped parsley. Remember, you eat with your eyes first!
- Keep portions moderate, and save leftovers for lunch.
- Enjoy every bite. The problem with diets is that people force themselves to eat foods they don’t actually like. Find what you love and savor it.
- Eat slowly to prevent overeating, and consider a gratitude statement before you begin. (It’s nice to thank yourself for making an awesome meal!)
Can’t make toast? Book a cooking class with one of our Artisans!
Plan your own cooking class, demonstration or challenge, and we’ll open your mind and palate to new skills and ideas. We’ll teach you how to chop, sear, blanch, plate and garnish. We can also show you how to prepare a certain style of cuisine or your favorite takeout (with a healthy twist). There’s really no limit on what you can learn from our Austin-based experts.
Cooking is truly the best way to achieve your health goals, and have fun while doing it. We love to entertain, so get ready for a fun night with friends, family or colleagues. Contact us to get started!
Posted in: Cooking Classes